Apply by March 31, 2023.
Are you committed to defending human rights offline as well as online? Do you have some experience in digital security, organizational security, or coordinating networks? Are you flexible, and able to contribute to a whole range of tasks within the Digital Defenders Partnership program? The DDP team would love to have you as a colleague.
Are you committed to defending human rights offline as well as online? Do you have some experience in digital security, organisational security, or coordinating networks? Are you flexible, and able to contribute to a whole range of tasks within the Digital Defenders Partnership program? The DDP team would love to have you as a colleague.
The Project Officer Francophone Africa reports to the DDP Regional Project Manager Francophone Africa and has the following responsibilities:
Administrating the regional team
- Administrative tasks (travel arrangement for participants of the training, assisting the lead facilitator, regional project manager and regional protection lead in planning and preparing the training).
- Being part of the project team with regular weekly meetings.
- Supporting the creation of contracts with regional trainees.
- Maintaining close contact with the regional team; regular calls, and ongoing availability via secure communication channels.
- Supporting regional meet-ups (between team members and organisational focal points).
- Supporting with inter-vision meetings (team members and mentors/facilitators).
- Assessment of applications, due diligence and vetting (in close cooperation with the DDP grants officers).
- Guiding and supporting (potential) grantees:
- Partner management (creating contracts, assessment of quarterly reports, payments, communications, etc.).
- Outreach: scouting for potential new regional partners through conferences and your own regional network.
- Advice and Referral: Due diligence of those who are asking for support.
M&E, Reporting, lessons learned
- Implementing DDP M&E activities.
- Contributing to the official reporting structure to the back donors.
- Joining international DDP team meetings.
- You are an excellent communicator (written and verbal) in French and English.
- You are a good organiser, and able to work in different time zones and with people from different (cultural, religious) backgrounds.
- You have knowledge of issues related to internet freedom, digital security, and working directly with human rights defenders under threat.
- You have grants management experience.
- You are result-oriented and a practical thinker; you are able to deal with emergency requests that come up, and you don’t mind taking on any kind of administrative tasks.
- You are an Independent team player; you are able to work independently on program elements, as well as in collaboration with the DDP team and partners in the field.
- You are strategic, critical, analytical; you like improving and co-creating project elements together with the DDP team, regional team members and (local) stakeholders.
- You subscribe to the DDP core values (holistic understanding of protection, human rights & Internet freedom, Confidentiality & Trust, Mentorship & Partnership, Inclusivity & Diversity, Not claiming but Facilitating, Quality & Expertise).
- You are an open communicator; you are able to communicate clearly, and you are not afraid to address any ambiguity or insecurity.
- You are able to use encryption, and secure communication channels.
- A willingness to work in a Queer-affirmative and feminist team, assert your needs, respect those of your colleagues, and contribute to an empowering and joyful working environment. You agree to the DDP values (as addressed in our 2020-2023 Strategic Plan) and will sign the HIVOS Safeguarding Policy1 and the non-disclosure agreement of DDP.
- In case you feel your experiences do not fully match this profile (yet), but you are motivated to take this position on, fit well with our vision and values, feel passionate about the HRD protection field, please feel welcome to reach out and we can explore what is possible.
What we offer
Engagement 32 hrs/week is offered for the period of one year with a possible extension for a longer period. The compensation offer consideration will depend on your location, however, will not be less than € 2,000 monthly.
Diversity: DDP is dedicated to strengthening diversity in the field of digital and holistic protection, and in this regard, women and LGBTQIA+ people, persons with disabilities, as well as others traditionally under-represented in the field, are encouraged to apply. Applicants who disclose a disability and who meet the minimum criteria outlined above will be guaranteed an interview. If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please indicate this in your cover letter along with any reasonable adjustments you require for an online interview.
Want to apply?
Please apply by March 31, 2023. We will consider closing the procedure before this date in case we receive a lot of applications and/or have found a matching candidate before this date. Both a cover letter and CV need to be submitted in English to Hivos through the email email@example.com with the subject: FRANCOPHONE AFRICA PO DDP.
Interviews will take place from April 6, 2023. Interviews will be held over secure online communication means.
Background checks for final candidates
If you get selected for the final stage of the selection process, please note that professional references and background checks will be conducted due to our Safeguarding Policy*. We may check social media -unless applicants state they do not wish us to do so. Accuracy of information in the curriculum vitae will also be checked.